Monday, June 6, 2011

Boys and Baseball

We took Alex to his first baseball game on Sunday. The plan was to get up have breakfast, go grocery shopping for lunch makings, make lunch, catch the train to the game, go to the game. The day did not go as planned.

I made lemon cornmeal pancakes for breakfast as a part of our attempt at a more natural lifestyle through a 28 day venture into a vegan diet. Thankfully, that was fine. They tasted great, never missed the eggs or the oils.

I left my husband at home to get Alex ready for the game while I went to the grocery store. I wanted some items I wasn't sure I'd find at my local Safeway, so I headed to Whole Foods. The only problem with this plan was that I was not familiar with the store. Instead of heading in, picking up mustard, hummus, tortillas, and mirin and leaving, I wandered aimlessly through the store picking up any item I came across that we might need during the week, ranging from pasta sauce to vitamins. When I got home, I expected to find my husband and son ready for baseball. Instead, I found my little boy sitting in the entry way in his orange pajama top and a diaper playing with his trucks. Although very cute, he was definitely not ready for baseball.

My husband took him away to finish what he should have done while I was gone, got him dressed. I got started on preparing lunch. My husband figured out that the tickets were not electronic as I had thought, but needed to be printed. Almost an hour later, we were finally getting into the car to head to the train station. The only problem, I realized my medication was sitting on my desk at work, so a stop at work was warranted. So instead of catching the train, we drove to the ballpark. Parking at the ball park was $30! Yes, thirty dollars. That was more than we paid for each of our seats. At this point we didn't have a choice.

Just as we were heading to the park, I realized, I'd forgotten the bread for our sandwiches. We had everything, but the bread. Now, we needed a grocery store again. We walked to the grocery store got pita bread and a few other things, and walked back to the ballpark.

After a morning of what seemed like a comedy of errors, we actually made it to the baseball game before the first pitch. I was absolutely amazed. The weather had forecasted rain, but looking at the sky, we really didn't think it would rain. We enjoyed our hummus and veggie pita pockets in lieu of the typical ball park food of hotdogs and beer. I really didn't miss the greasy hotdog after my jalapeno hummus. By the end of the game Alex had figured out when to cheer and even mimicked the guy in front of us who was booing at one point. It was adorable. After the 7th inning we figured we might be pushing our luck on Alex's nap time, so we decided that although the game was tied 1-1, we would leave. Before we left, we got a printed certificate commemorating Alex's first baseball game.

Overall, it was a fun and unique experience for Alex's first baseball game.

No comments:

Post a Comment