Monday, October 3, 2011

San Jose Rock and Roll Half Marathon

Since I missed posting last week, I have two posts today...

On October 2, I ran the San Jose Rock and Roll Half Marathon. It was a cloudy and cool morning, perfect weather for running. With around 10,000 racers, we were divided into 16 corrals based on our estimated finish time. Since my estimate was 2:45, I was is in corral 12. I was there about 30 minutes before the start of the race so I found some friends from Team in Training to chat with before heading to my corral. About 10 minutes before the race started, I made my way to corral 12. There were probably about 500 people squished into a 20ft by 20ft square.

The problem with being towards the back of 10,000 runners is that when the gun went off, we didn’t even move. By the time the people in front of us started moving, we could still only walk a little until we got about 60 feet from the actual start line. Thank goodness our race time didn’t start until our tag on our shoe crossed the start line.

For the first mile, I was able to hold about an 11:30 min/mile pace which was just a little faster than my estimated pace at about 12:35. During the second mile, I settled into a 12:20 min/mile pace. We started passing the bands during the second mile and then roughly every mile after that. With songs like We Will Rock You, Dirty Deeds, and Welcome to the Jungle, it helped me keep up the pace. I held about a 12:30 min/mile pace until around 8 miles. Then I started to feel myself slipping. Although the music kept coming, I had trouble pushing. Then at around 11 miles the hip pain from the previous weekend kicked in with a vengeance. It took every bit of will power to just keep running. Once I rounded the last corner though, I forgot about the crazy pain. I could run through anything for the last 1000 feet. That is exactly what I did, I sprinted to the end faster than at any other point during the race. Thank goodness I did, because although I didn’t make a new personal record, I tied my last one and added another finisher medal to my collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment