Monday, July 25, 2011

Last week's workout schedule

Last week was the first week in a really long time that I actually kept to my workout schedule. Tuesday was my track day, and I actually went to the track. I ran 6x400m intervals with 400 between each one. I ran 400m in 2:25 consistently each time. That was even while having to change lanes multiple times to avoid the one runner running the wrong way on the track, and another man who was walking the track and almost seemed to be bird watching. I was actually impressed with my time. I hate track, but it was nice to get a time on short distances.

On Thursday, I decided to see what my current time would be for 3 miles. I hadn't really timed a 3 mile run in several months. At first I was a little embarrassed to be pushing myself so hard on the public roads. I was sweating profusely due to the heat and huffing and puffing my way along. As I rounded my last corner and headed up my street, there was a man and his son walking on the sidewalk. At first, I didn't think they were going to give way and after 3 miles of running I wasn't sure I would make it around them, thankfully at the last second the father stepped aside and let me pass. I made it to my front lawn, and almost made a dive for the grass, but decided against it since they were right behind me. I ran 3 miles, estimated by mapmyrun.com, in 38:08. It wasn't my best time, but certainly better than I likely would've done 5 year ago.

Saturday was my long run. I was supposed to start at 7:30AM and run 8 miles. But I was counting on my inability to sleep past 6:30 lately to get me out of bed. I woke up at 6:30, but immediately fell back asleep and woke up at 7:30AM. I was late from the moment I climbed out of bed and we had a birthday party later that day so I had to get running, literally. I wanted to run my eight miles on a trail and I needed liquids and food to start so by the time I made it to my run start it was 8:10AM. After much trial and error with hydration systems for longer distances, I have finally had success with the hydration backpack. The other nice thing about it is there are plenty of pockets for keys, phone, nutrition, etc. I put on my fabulous backpack and headed out on my run. Thankfully, unlike the rest of the country we are not experiencing the extreme humidity and heat here in California, so the temperature was quite mild in the low 60s when I started. My currently long distance plan is a 3:1 run:walk. It is the only run:walk plan that I have been able to maintain from beginning to end of my run, and it is working fairly well for me. I have my phone setup for the interval and I turn on my GPS run tracker and then shove it in the pocket of my backpack. There are two different bells for the run and walk portions and I have learned that it works best if I don't watch the time during my run. On Saturday I ran my 8 miles in 1:51:05. I was happy with that, and rushed home at a little after 10AM to shower and head to the birthday party.

No comments:

Post a Comment